Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm Back!!!


Well, I'm back from DC now. Did you miss me? I didn't think so. Anyhow, I just flew in from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (which I think is the only international airport called National...) and boy, are my arms tired. No really. My arms and my legs. I probably walked 50 miles in the four and a half days I spent in DC, traversing the National Mall from one end to the other more than a dozen times, and then back and forth across DC countless more times. I saw just about everything on my (unwritten) list, with the exception of National Geographic's Explorer Hall, plus a bunch of stuff that I just stumbled on through blind luck. But that, to me, is the best way to really discover an area. On the flight out, we circled right around DC, so I pulled out the camera and squeezed off a couple of shots by twisting my neck around backwards and shooting behind the wing I was seated over. This is the best of those shots, and it's not too good, but you can get the general idea of things. I know this may come as a shock to you, but they don't offer aerial tours of DC, so this is likely to be the best aerial shot I can get for you. You can clearly see the National Mall in the foreground, with just the very tip of the Capitol building peeking in at the bottom. Straight up from that is the Mall itself, with tents still up from a Black Family Reunion event they had Saturday and Sunday. Then you can see the Washington Monument, it's tip skewering the WWII Memorial, and the the Lincoln Memorial. The bridge going towards the left is to Arlington National Cemetery (I walked across that bridge twice) and the bridge to the right leads off to Arlington, VA. There's lots of other stuff visible in this shot, but I won't bore you with the details, those will come later as I begin to post some of the 4000+ pictures I took. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I think that is hands down my fav pic of all the ones you took

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it because I was leaving and you could finally rest for a sec? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, since ya asked ............. NO! I like aerial shots in general.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...