Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Show-Off


Since I'm unlikely to be back in Washington DC anytime real soon, I took the best of my photos from atop the Washington Monument, and enhanced them quite a bit. These are not the same pictures as the ones I showed you a second ago, but they were taken at the same time. I zoomed in on some of the more prominent monuments, adjusted the contrast, lightened things up a little bit, cropped around the worst of the raindrops, and voila! To the West is the Lincoln Memorial.

To the South, the Jefferson Memorial.

Back East, the Capitol Building. Oh, that's the Supreme Court behind the Capitol to the left, and the Library of Congress on the right, the Thomas Jefferson Building to be exact.

And to the North, The White House. I think by law I'm not allowed to show you the roof of the White House. Even Google Earth has to blur it out. Sorry about that. Can you see that the flag atop the White House is at half-staff? Remember, I took these photos on September 11, 2009, the eighth anniversary of the terrorist attacks. Oh, in the foreground is the National Christmas Tree, inside the little round fence. I thought they brought in a new one every year, but not according to the little plaque on the ground.

1 comment:

  1. Rockefeller Center in NYC gets a new one every year-and it gets news time every year. I hadn't known about the permanent National Tree-thanks.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...