Thursday, December 01, 2011

Zottola (Not Mottola)

Following up on that last post featuring a bit of Tony Mottola, here's a guy you've probably never heard of called Glenn Zottola. Don't feel bad, though, I'd never heard of him, either, until I found this record.  I'm the sort of guy who will buy just about any record that purports to be Christmas music if the price is right.  And by right, I mean cheap.  I can buy Christmas records all day long at the Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift stores, and at $1 each, I can get a lot more music than $0.99 for a download.  So I wind up with a lot of interesting stuff, much of which I never do anything with, but sometimes I put on a record that seems a little more interesting than the others, and that's how I came to play this one.  And I liked what I heard.  It's pretty light jazz, at least to my ears.  But several of the tracks feature vocalist Maxine Sullivan, and she's just great.  I may be wrong, but I don't think she ever recorded a Christmas record of her own, so this may be the only holiday music she left behind, and I see that she passed away the year after this record was released.  Everything I know about this record comes from that sticker on the front cover.  It was released by radio station WYRS in Stamford, CT (though it seems to have moved since 1986).  I like how the label and catalog number have been integrated into the street sign of the cover art, too, that's a nice touch.  I could go on and on, but you need to download and listen to this one.  If anyone knows anything more about this record, this radio station, Glenn or Maxine, please don't keep it to yourself.  Please download and enjoy Glenn Zottola And His Allstars Featuring Maxine Sullivan-Christmas In Jazztime (Dreamstreet DR-110, for WYRS 96.7 FM, Stamford, CT, Stereo, 1986).

1. Let It Snow
2. Jolly Old St. Nick (with Maxine)
3. Winter Wonderland
4. White Christmas (with Maxine)
5. Silent Night
6. Jingle Bells (with Maxine)
7. Christmas Song
8. Greensleeves
9. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

MediaFire

2 comments:

  1. Pretty updated sound Ernie. Nice find, and share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! To find this Maxine Sullivan is a rare and wonderful treat. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...