Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Saluda Grade



While I'm in the mood for some posting, here's a sign from Saluda, North Carolina, marking the steepest standard gauge mainline railway in the country.  Lots of disclaimers there, but the biggest one they left off is the fact that this stretch of rail hasn't been used in years and years, and would probably need some work before it could be used again.  Saluda is at the top end of the grade, and the other end is in Tryon, the small town where my dad grew up.  We were visiting a couple months ago prior to my grandmother's funeral.

3 comments:

  1. Used to drive that stretch of road for years Ernie. Out of curiosity, have you ever had dinner at the Lake Lanier Tea House?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We at at some place on a lake, but it was nowhere near Saluda or Tryon, and it was a seafood place. I couldn't tell you the name of it, though. IN Saluda, we ate at a BBQ joint across the tracks, Green River Bar-B-Que. (I don't remember the name, but I took a picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the seafood place was in SC on Lake Bowen. I don't remember the name nor does Dad. Good to see you posting again. I enjoy your coments. Mom

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...