Friday, November 23, 2012

Get Maxwell (Not Smart)

In a pattern that I'm afraid might become all too common this year, I first saw this LP over at CaptOT's place, A Christmas Yuleblog.I love Robert Maxwell and I love harp albums.  Oh, and I think you already know that I love Christmas music, so this was a great match.  It's been four years since the Captain shared it, and I've since found my own copy or two, so I figured I could go ahead and share my copy.  Doubly so since he's not sharing too much over there these days.  I've even had requests from other folks to repost his copy, but I don't do that sort of thing.  This is my copy, my scan, my rip, the whole nine yards.  There's nothing I can tell you about this album that he didn't say better over there, except I think his copy was from Canada, and mine is not.  It's a regular US release on the budget Lion subsidiary of MGM.  I think this LP came to market just as stereo was becoming the way to go, and without a stereo version to push, they sort of let it fall into obscurity.  I see that again and again with items released in '57-'58.  It's a shame, because it was good music.  Anyhow, this is Robert Maxwell And His Harp-40 All-Time Christmas Favorites (Lion (MGM) L70081, Mono, 1958). All 40 tracks are crammed into 8 medleys, so it's not nearly so long and expansive as that Will Kennedy record with 'only' 36 tracks.

1. Jingle Bells; Winter Wonderland; Santa Claus Is Coming To Town; Jolly Old St. Nicholas; White Christmas
2. The Christ Child Is Born; Dear Baby Jesus, Now Rest In Sleep; All Through The Night; O Sanctissima; Chanson De Noel
3. Here We Come A-Caroling; Lullaby Carol; Lullaby, Thy Little Tony Child; Masters In This Hall; Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming
4. I Saw Three Ships; Born Is He, The Child Divine; Listen, Listen, Children Dear; Good King Wenceslas; O, Tannenbaum
5. Deck The Halls; It Came Upon A Midnight Clear; We Three Kings Of Orient Are; Angels We Have Heard On High; The First Noel
6. O Holy Night (Cantique De Noel); Away In A Manger; The Moon Shines Bright; The Holly And The Ivy; What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen; Bring A Torch, Jeanette Isabella; I Wish You A Merry Christmas; O Little Town Of Bethlehem; Joy To The World
8. Christmas Eve Is Here; Sing We Now Of Christmas; O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles); Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; Silent Night

MediaFire
Torrent

6 comments:

  1. thanks for all your work over the years.

    and now torrents !!!

    you're the coolest yule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ernie; I want to say "Merry Christmas" to you, my friend:)
    I like your style, I love your blog & all the wonderful Christmas music, and your good sense of humour!
    Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ernie -

    First of all - thank yo so much for doing what you do. I can't tell you how excited and happy I am to start a new xmas season with this timeless music. It is truly the soundtrack to my life this time of year.

    Second, wow - what a wonderfully clean sound you've got with this record. It's truly a marvel. Your years of toil with hardware, software, etc. have really paid off!

    Of course I love everything you post, but this is such a peaceful record - a real gem.

    Thank you again for keeping the spirit of traditional Christmas alive!

    Your friend,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost this one, but now you helped me find it again. Thanks. Stealthman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ernie, it's been a while since I visited this blog and just wanted to say: outstanding Christmas shares. Many thanks and all the best for the season.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...