Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Christmas In July 2017 Day 12

Whew, got off at a decent hour today so I was able to record a few tracks for the pile. I keep finding more and more records that I want to grab a track from, they seem to come out of the woodwork at times.  At some point I'm going to have to just stop and call it good enough, but not any time real soon since I'm on a bit of a roll.  So let's take a look at what I've got tonight for you.

1. Go Tell It On The Mountain by Thurlow Spurr And The Spurrlows from The Spurrlows Now (Word WST-8445-LP, Stereo, 1969).  A great little bit of Now Sound from a religious LP.  These guys were hired by Chrysler to go around and perform concerts back in the late Sixties.  They even released a Christmas LP during that period, and it's not too shabby.

2. Baby Doll (Theme From "Baby Doll") by Ted Heath And His Music from Showcase (London LL 1737, Mono, 1958).  Not quite as good as the other Ted Heath I shared with you recently, but no the worst thing I'll share out with you this month.

3. Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers, one of those songs I probably share too frequently this month, but you gotta take what you can get.  This one is performed by The Peter London Orchestra-Arranged And Conducted By Art Harris from the LP The Sound Of Top Brass (Kapp ML-7500, Mono, 1960).  If memory serves (and it usually doesn't these days), this is the second track I've brought to you this month from this LP.  And I think there's one more to go.

4. Skating In Central Park (From "Odds Against Tomorrow") by John Lewis from the various artists album Jazz From The Movies (Ascot AM 13012, Mono, 1964).  Pretty sure I shared out a track of the same name by The Modern Jazz Quartet some years ago, but it didn't ring any bells when I listened to it.  Must not be very memorable.

5. Lulle Lullay (The Coventry Carol) by John Jacob Niles, Mountaineer Tenor, With Dulcimer Accompaniment, one of the unsung early collectors of folk songs across America, taken from his album John Jacob Niles Sings American Folk Songs (RCA Camden CAL 245, Mono, 1956).  Nice, and there are a couple more where this one came from.

6. My Favorite Things by The Hi-Lo's With Orchestra Conducted By Warren Barker from Broadway Playbill (Columbia CS 8213, Stereo, 1960).  Everybody needs more of The Hi-Lo's in their life.  Honest!

7. Winter Wonderland by Cliff Duphiney With Vincent Marino, Percussionist from the interestingly titled LP Cliff Duphiney's Explosion Of The Tone Cabinets (Decora-Amphora DALP 2002, Mono, 1961).  I was disappointed to find out that I had shared this one before in Stereo.  I guess not every re-share is an improvement.

8. Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year by the great Bing Crosby With The Pete Moore Orchestra from the very last LP he recorded in his lifetime, Seasons (Polydor PD-1-6128, Stereo, 1977).  Such a great voice, and truly the father of almost all modern Christmas songs.  If he'd stopped after his first version of White Christmas, we'd still be talking about him today, but the rest of his Christmas catalog is right up there with the classics of Western civilization.

And that's it.  Another eight tracks, and I recorded 12 today, so I'm banking four.  That doesn't catch me up to yesterday, but I'm doing OK.  The weekend isn't too far away.  Hope you're finding something you like and thanks for stopping by!

Zippyshare

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Ernie--thanks. One small correction: I believe the correct title of the album that the Hi-Lo's song came off (Columbia CS-8213) is Broadway Playbill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, thanks for pointing that out. What an odd error to make, I must have read that somewhere on the back side of the LP. I fixed it, but the three people who already downloaded it will need to update it on their end.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are greatly appreciated, but replies aren't guaranteed...